The Varnett Public School is now a member of the Texas Charter School Academic and Athletic League.
Mr. Lonnie Reynolds, Varnett's athletic director, made the announcement Tuesday at the district leadership meeting.
The league works to aid the individual growth of Texas’ charter school students, through academic and athletic competition, to promote teamwork, a healthy lifestyle, and the constant pursuit for academic excellence, according to the organization's website.
"This is a great opportunity for our students to compete with other charter schools in the area," Mr. Reynolds said. "We are glad to be a member and we welcome the competition."
Varnett will be placed in the East region, Mr. Reynolds said.
In the near future, here are the schools that will participate:
- East basketball, grades 4-6
- Southeast basketball, middle school
- Northeast soccer, middle school
- Southwest soccer, middle school
A schedule has not yet been announced.
Mr. Reynolds emphasized that student participants must show a record from their physician they have passed a physical exam. Physicals will be conducted on the following dates:
- East, Oct. 16, starting at 11 a.m.
- Northeast, Oct. 17, starting at 1 p.m.
- Southwest, Oct. 21, starting at 11 a.m.
- Southeast, Oct, 22, starting at 1 p.m.
There will be a $15 fee.